Very few countries, if any, have an annual awards which are under the title of the head of state. Now in its fifth year, the President’s Design Award Singapore is becoming an important event in the calendar.
Judging by the winners this year, there is still a bias towards architecture. Six out of ten awards went to architectural projects and the two Designer of the Year recipients were also architects. It is a shame that other disciplines are not receiving more exposure.
Having said that, the winning architectural work was very good and seeing the portfolio of work from local practitioners, Chan Sau Yan Sonny and Tang Guan Bee, who were the Designers of the Year, one cannot help but be impressed by the imaginative structures they have created over the years.
Not surprisingly, the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort Singapore was one of the design winners.
There were three product designs, the Dyson Digital Motor, the Streetwave Swaveboard and the Pryde Group bicycle which were honoured at the ceremony held at The Istana, the President’s Palace in Singapore on 10th November.
In the area of graphic design, the largest discipline in Singapore, there was only one winner. This was Underscore Magazine, a relatively unknown magazine created by Hjgher (not a spelling error) design studio which has previously worked for retail clients.
Without doubt, Underscore features imaginative layouts and interesting typography. Can it survive as a publication? Let us all hope so. AdAsia plans to highlight this magazine and the design team in the near future. You can view the winning entries at Ion, Space Asia Hub, URA Centre. Click here for details.
The jury panel this year features two advertising people. Once again, Tham Khai Meng, Worldwide Creative Director from Ogilvy & Mather took part and was joined by Ms Jureeporn Thaidumrong, one of Thailand’s top creative directors.
Designer of the Year
(1) Chan Sau Yan Sonny
Principal, Chan Sau Yan Associates, Singapore
(2) Tang Guan Bee
Principal, Tangguanbee Architects, Singapore
Design of the Year
(1) 26 Cable Road
ip:li architects / Yip Yuen Hong
(2) 1000 Singapores – A Model of the Compact City
Khoo Peng Beng / Belinda Huang Wan Jing Agnes / Assistant Professor Erik G. L‘Heureux / Assistant Professor Florian Schaetz (and Team)
(3) Dyson Digital Motor
Dyson, Singapore / Dyson, UK / Low Yee Cheok (and Team)
(4) Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
CPG Consultants Pte Ltd. / Lee Soo Khoong (and Team)
(5) Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort, Singapore
Moshe Safdie International LLC, Boston, Massachusetts / Moshe Safdie (and Team) in collaboration with Aedas Pte Ltd / Tony Ang (and Team)
(6) Pryde Group Bicycle Design Development
BMW Group DesignworksUSA (Singapore) / Magnus Aspegren (and Team)
(7) School of the Arts
WOHA Architects Pte Ltd / Wong Mun Summ and Richard Hassell (and Team)
(8) State Theatre Centre of Western Australia
Kerry Hill Architects Pte Ltd / Kerry Hill (and Team)
Streetwave Pte Ltd / Imran Othman
(10) Underscore Magazine
Hjgher / Justin Long (and Team)
The full jury panel were:
(1) Ms Lei-Mei Julia Chiu Executive Director, Japan Institute of Design Promotion (JDP); and Professor, Musashino Art University (Japan)
(2) Mr John Denton Founding Director,Denton Corker Marshall Pty Ltd (Australia)
(3) Mr Brandon Gien Managing Director, Good Design Australia; and Chair, Australian International Design Awards (Australia)
(4) Mr Garrick Hamm Creative Partner, Williams Murray Hamm (United Kingdom)
(5) Professor Heng Chye Kiang Dean, School of Design and Environment, National University of Singapore (Singapore)
(6) Mr Fernando Menis Founder, Menis Arquitectos (Spain)
(7) Mr Mok Wei Wei Architect & Principal, W Architects Pte Ltd (Singapore)
(8) Mr Neil Porter Director, Gustafson Porter Ltd (United Kingdom)
(9) Mr Matthias Sauerbruch Founder and Director, Sauerbruch Hutton Architects (Germany)
(10) Professor Richard Seymour Co-Founder, Seymourpowell (United Kingdom)
(11) Mr Michael Sorkin Founder, Michael Sorkin Studio; and Chair, New York Institute for Urban Design (United States of America)
(12) Mr Tai Lee Siang Group Managing Director, Architecture Ong & Ong Pte Ltd (Singapore)
(13) Mr Tan Yoong Owner and Designer, Tan Yoong (Singapore)
(14) Ms Jureeporn Thaidumrong CEO and Creative Chairwoman, nudeJEH (previously JEH united) (Thailand)
(15) Mr Tham Khai Meng Worldwide Creative Director and Chairman Worldwide Creative, Council Ogilvy & Mather, New York (United States of America)
(16) Mr Nathan Yong Furniture Designer, Nathan Yong Design (Singapore)