We really don’t need reminding of the growth of mobile advertising but Smaato has pulled out some more figures that show the tremendous change coming about. Smaato predicts that by 2015, we will have a 1.11 billion app user market in Asia, twice the size of the current figure. By the end of 2013, one in five mobile users will use a smartphone with the mobile internet users hitting the one billion mark by 2014.
Here are other key highlight of the white paper:
• Mobile subscription in Asia will amount to 2.57 billion in 2012, equivalent to one-third of world’s population.
• Mobile banner ad spend will increase to US$2.6 billion in 2015 from US$1.85 billion in 2012.
• Number of app users will rise to 1.11 billion by the end of 2015, equivlent to 32% of total mobile subscriptions and 77.6% of mobile internet users.
• Approximately 16% of mobile advertising campaigns in Asia are rich media-based campaigns, with a few countries such as Australia and Japan, whose mobile advertising campaigns are 40-45% rich media-based.
• The click-through rate of rich media-based mobile advertising campaigns is approximately 0.8%, at least double that of standard mobile banner ad campaigns.
“Asia’s growth momentum is bound to pick up with the decreasing cost of smart devices and the development of telecommunication infrastructure alongside the next wave of 4G mobile standards,” said Marcus Tan, Smaato Managing Director, Asia Pacific.