One hundred presentations, one hundred opportunities to learn from successful marketing campaigns. The Asia Pacific Marketing Congress known as The APPIES was once again held in Singapore recently. Organised by the Institute of Advertising Singapore, this event attracted over 500 delegates all anxious to hear how agencies and clients in the region had successfully marketed products and services in the previous year. The format remained as a four-minute video, followed by a six-minute presentation by the representative of the agency or client, who then faced questions from the highly experienced panel and the audience. Sixty-five brands from fifteen markets were exposed and reviewed. It offered a wonderful opportunity for the delegates to learn from other and appreciate the strategies and executions which were implemented.
Goh Shu Fen, The APPIES Chairman for 2013, said at the opening, “Education is the raison d’etre of IAS. It was first established in 1990 with a mission to raise level of professionalism, expertise and collaboration in the marketing and communications sector. As we share 105 cases from 65 brands and 15 markets, over the next two days, I hope you embrace the spirit of learning, unlearning and relearning.”
Johan Buse, Vice President (Consumer Marketing) at SingTel, kicked the event off with his keynote address. He gave one of the best keynote speeches heard at The APPIES when he spoke of the journey SingTel, the largest communications company in Singapore, took to go from a respected to a loved organisation. He illustrated this with examples including a video on KLM’s use of data to choose presents for its surprised passengers.
This was followed by break-out sessions in various locations in the NUS Guild House. As always, the delegates were faced with the difficult choice of which
While regional creative award shows give one the opportunity to see some really imaginative executions, the APPIES offer a smorgasbord of down-to-earth work from markets into which we may not have ventured. The APPIES is real education on several levels.
You can hear what some of the delegates thought about The APPIES and comments from the Chairman by clicking below:
At the end of the two-day event, the best presenters are rewarded along with the top entries.
Next year, Rene de Monchy, Head of Marketing at Asia Pacific Breweries, takes over as Chairman of The APPIES. Goh Shu Fen becomes President
APPIES 2013 saw 8 presenters clinching the Best Presenter Awards and a special award was given to Oliver Kittipong Veerataecha, Strategic & Innovation Officer of Y&R who won the best presenter three years in a row.
(01) Allen Eric, Brand Manager, Marico Limited, INDIA
(02) Dhiren Amin, Group Planning Director, McCann Worldgroup INDIA
(03) Jason King, Group Planning Director, BBDO INDIA
(04) Jean Madrid, Brand Manager, Unilever, PHILIPPINES
(05) Kristine Go, Senior Global Digital Brand Manager, Lifebuoy, Unilever, SINGAPORE
(06) Mikki Ravelo, Global Brand Manager, Lux, Unilever, SINGAPORE
(07) Nicole Sparshott, Vice President, Refreshment, SEA & Australasia, Unilever, SINGAPORE
(08) Yousuf Rangoonwala, Strategic Director, BBH Communications INDIAJohan Buse, Goh Shu Fen and Rene de Monchy.
The winners are listed below:
10 Gold Medals
(01) Campaign Title Flavors of Life Brand Wrigley’s Extra Advertiser Wrigley’s Extra Agency BBDO China Country CHINA
(02) Campaign Title Recommended By Those Who Care About You Brand Parachute Advansed Ayurvedic Hair Oil Advertiser Marico Limited Agency BBH Communications India Pvt Ltd Country INDIA
(03) Campaign Title Apology Press Conference Grand Prix Brand Snickers Advertiser Mars Agency I&S BBDO Country JAPAN
(04) Campaign Title Kiwi Septics Brand Kiwi Septics Advertiser Air New Zealand Agency Host Country NEW ZEALAND
(05) Campaign Title “It’s More Fun In The Philippines” Brand Philippines Department of Tourism Advertiser Philippines Department of Tourism Agency BBDO Country PHILIPPINES
(06) Campaign Title Moving Singtel’s Image from being a traditional telco to an innovative multimedia company Brand SingTel Advertiser SingTel Agency BBDO Country SINGAPORE
(07) Campaign Title Be Positive Brand Action for AIDS Advertiser Health Promotion Board Agency Iris Worldwide Country SINGAPORE
(08) Campaign Title From Big Ticket Expenses to Daily Essential Brand NTUC Income Advertiser NTUC Income Insurance Co-operatives Ltd Agency BBH Asia Pacific Country SINGAPORE
(09) Campaign Title Smoking Kid Brand Thai Health Promotion Foundation Advertiser Thai Health Promotion Foundation Agency Ogilvy & Mather Advertising Country THAILAND
(10) Campaign Title Magnum ‘Fin’nomenon Brand Magnum Advertiser Unilever Thai Trading Co. Ltd Country THAILAND
5 Silver Medals
(01) Campaign Title Adding Romance to the Game of the Thrones Brand Parachute Advansed Body Lotion Advertiser Marico Limited Agency McCann Worldgroup Country INDIA
(02) Campaign Title The Truth Lies Behind Brand Shabondama Soap Advertiser Shabondama Soap Co Ltd. Agency I&S BBDO / BBDO J WEST Country JAPAN
(03) Campaign Title Knorr Noodle Gang’s Adventures Brand Knorr Noodles Advertiser Unilever Agency Lowe & Rouf Country PAKISTAN
(04) Campaign Title National Night Brand Mentos Advertiser Perfetti Van Melle Agency BBH Asia Pacific Country SINGAPORE
(05) Campaign Title Max Savings Brand KRUNGSRI Advertiser Krungsri Bank (Bank of Ayudhya) Agency Lowe Country THAILAND